Skip to main content

Archive

Like a Gnat at a Barbecue, Just Keeps Bugging the Heck Out of You!

Have you ever had one of your close friends introduce you to one of their new friends, and at first everything’s smooth then the tables turn and you just hate to see them coming? You know, like that one person that every time your friend brings them around there’s a damper on your parade because the night is bound to go wrong because of them.  Or the person who seems to try to dictate the plans every time they come along?  Oh, I’m sorry I was getting a little carried away! Let me go grab a drink and I’ll be right back. 


Ok, I’m back! Well if you couldn’t tell, I’ve personally had to deal with this before.  Now if you’ve ever had to deal with this and you aren’t sure how to deal with it then you’ve came to the right place.  I’m going to tell you how to manage conflict with the “third party”.  Now, I can talk to you all about my personal experience with my close friend and the friend she introduced me to (also known as the third-party friend). 

When I was first introduced to this third-party friend they were so nice, outgoing, and I just knew that they were going to be a good fit in our friend group. Boy, was I wrong.  Every time we went out and she was with us something bad would always happen. The night would never go as originally planned because she would always find the “better option” and the plans would be changed last minute.  Not only did she tend to always mess up the night, but she was also mean. She would always pick arguments with people we didn’t know then look for us to back her up, but when we didn’t she would yell at us and tell us we were no help.  My close friend didn’t see anything wrong with how her friend was acting, and she was always making excuses for her. So, I’m guessing you’re wondering how I dealt with this conflict? Let me tell you!


The first thing I did was wait out the issue hoping for a change in behavior. Since there was no change in her behavior I went to my close friend and I tried to tell her how I felt about her friend. I tried to get my friend to be the one to address the issue.  My close friend didn’t believe that there was any need in addressing this conflict.  So, then I knew it was time to tell her myself. I asked the third-party friend if we could meet one day just me and her so that we could talk about some things.  She accepted the invite and we met for lunch.  When we met for lunch I explained to her the reason I wanted to meet with her, which was because I didn’t agree with some of her behaviors. While each one of us were speaking the other one was listening, there was little to none of either of us being cut off.  There was a lot of I-statements being used as well which showed that there were no attacks being thrown. The conversation went smoothly and now the conflict has been approached. 

So, what can you take from this? 

Well, according to Ayra Moore's (2017) "communication and empathy are important skills for resolving conflict"[1]. So, next time you’re in a conflict with a friend’s friend you should talk to someone not involved in the conflict about the situation to see if you truly have a conflict at hand.  Then, arrange for a mutual time and place to meet with the third party friend to discuss the conflict.  Listen effectively and pay attention to what they are telling you. The article by Moore also mentions that showing respect for each other and avoiding angry or overly emotional exchanges while attempting to communicate[2].  After hearing out each side of the conflict both parties should come to an agreement to work out the conflict. If there is no agreement then there could be a mediator at the next sitting to help with the conversation, and to make sure both parties are heard. 

I hope this was helpful to you! Thanks for stopping by! ‘Til next time!


If you’re interested in reading anymore about how to manage conflict with your friends, here’s a link down below:  





[1] Moore, Ayra. 2017. "About Conflict Between You & Your Friend ." Our Everyday Life .
[2] Ibid